Friday, August 29, 2008

Crazy lady! Crazy lady! Lady, you crazy!!

I went to the gas station to get a couple bottles of gatorade.
I get in line behind this thirty-something lady who's counting out change for her Twix bar and grape-flavore Jungle Juice.
Change meaning all change. Quarters, nickels, dimes AND pennies.
I wait...
And wait...
Several more people line up behind me.
We wait...
And wait...
Now don't get me wrong - I've been there. I've had to count change to pay for stuff. And sometimes I haven't had enough change to pay.
But for the love of all that's holy, lady! You've counted it SEVEN times already and counting it once more is NOT going to turn eighty-nine cents into $1.24!
After about five minutes, I'd had enough. (And let me state, I would've offered the owed money earlier, but the woman was kind of hunched over and ashamed looking and I didn't want to embarrass her or anything.)
"Here's a dollar ma'am," I say politely (and very quietly) just as the woman is on the verge of starting yet another re-count.
She flips her head around and glares at me.
"You think I don't got money?" she demands.
*blink*
Taken aback, I just look at her for a second.
"Um, no ma'am, I was just..."
"Cuz I gots money! Now why in HELL would you think I don't got no money, huh? Cuz I ain't white like you?"
Hmmm... I thought she was white. She looked white. I wanted to ask her what color she was, but decided against it.
She continued to rant. "I got me some money. I don't know why you think I ain't got no money!"
Finally, I snapped back: "Because I'd hate to think you're holding all of us up while you just clean out your damn purse!"
Bitch.

Then I get to come home to packing up crap and cleaning up vomit. (Both kids suddenly get struck with a horrendous flu a day and a half before we move.)
'Course I make time to post my run-in with the crazy lady first.
For prosterity's sake, you know...

Damn I hate packing.

1 comment:

inContrast Images said...

Thanks so much for the comment on our blog & for checking out our photos! May I ask how you came across us?

Good luck on your move & on your procrastinating (know the feeling all too well!). I enjoyed taking a second out of my busy day to read your story about the crazy lady - a good excuse for me to procrastinate just that little bit more. ;)

-Elisa